We are AI - AIMS-IMAGINARY Virtual Math and Science Communication Event. A Next Einstein Forum (NEF) Pre-Event
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) and Quantum Leap Africa (QLA), in partnership with IMAGINARY, will organize the Virtual Conference and Exhibition “We are AI! Into the World of Artificial Intelligence”, aimed at students, researchers, and the general public all over the world.
Organized on the side-lines of the virtual Next Einstein Forum (NEF) with the theme: “Building Africa’s resilience through education, research and innovation”, the AI event seeks to build inspiration and spread awareness on Artificial Intelligence technologies — their advances and sectoral applications, and contribute towards increasing the appreciation and uptake of AI concepts and its applications in academia, research, and society.
This virtual event will raise questions like:
What is AI?
How do different types of AI work?
How and where is AI currently used?
Is AI already around us?
How does AI affect us?
Should we be afraid of AI?
What is Africa’s involvement in AI?
How can you become an AI professional?
How does AI affect privacy in Africa?
Answers to these and other questions will be addressed using visually inspiring, interactive software and games that embody AI concepts, as well as through scientific talks on current topics in the field of AI that can be easily appreciated by a broad audience.The African public and members of the African technology and research community are specially called to participate in order to showcase how Africa is preparing for the 4th Industrial Revolution through science, technology, and innovation; and building capacity of the next generation of Africa’s AI expertise. Participate
The virtual event will take place on December 3rd and 4th, 2020, through the videoconferencing platform Crowdcast.
- Register now at http://we-are-ai.org to participate as an individual or as a group.
Researchers and students working in the field of AI are invited to participate with presentations of their work or expositions of classical AI concepts in innovative ways.
- Send us an email to email@example.com to submit your proposal or expression of interest.
All presentations will be delivered through the Crowdcast platform at the scheduled time. Speakers are encouraged to prepare slides and/or visual supporting materials in a fun and exciting manner that can be understood by a general audience (academics and non-academics).
After the event, we will continue interacting through the blog MathemAfrica, http://mathemafrica.org, to answer your questions and receive your suggestions/comments. To make this possible, we are welcoming AI students, researchers, lecturers and experts to volunteer as moderators.
- Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply as a volunteer to provide answers to AI questions at MathemAfrica blog.
There will be four types of presentations, related to four types of content. All presentations should be visually interesting and easy to understand by a broad audience.Introduction to AI techniques
- You can present a classical topic or technique in AI via your own innovative materials.
- This is an introductory talk.
- Format: short talks, 10 minutes each.
- You can facilitate a roundtable discussion with other participants, around an AI topic. Examples: AI in education, AI startups, AI in arts/biology/astronomy/etc., AI in ethics, AI in governance, AI for sustainable development (e. g., zero hunger, health, climate change, etc.).
- The discussion rounds are participative and for a general audience. You would moderate the discussion together with guest speakers and conference participants who join this session (could be a smaller group).
- You can invite people in the field you propose.
- You can organize an activity with the public.
- Format: round table, 1 hour.
AI in Africa
- You can present your project connected to AI and the African continent, including research, applications, companies, education, sustainable development in general, etc.
- You can present your own project or idea, but there should be some valuable information like advice or insights to take “home” when listening to your presentation.
- Format: Short talks, 10 minutes each.
How to become an AI professional
This seeks to provide information for younger children and their teachers on the type of courses and programs that are relevant for those interested in AI, starting from as early as primary school.
- You can set presentations of hands-on and interactive activities that can be used to spur the interest of learners and keep them engaged with AI is also welcomed.
- You can share your experiences on popularizing AI or innovation in teaching the discipline.
The program of the conference will also include some invited lectures, a virtual exhibition tour, and discussions with African stakeholders on the future of AI research and education in Africa.
Send us your proposals for presenting at the conference by sending us an email to email@example.com until November 25th. The email should include your name/affiliation and an abstract for your proposal (maximum 1 page, ideally with reference articles)
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
Quantum Leap Africa (QLA)
Interactive exhibits and content financed by the Carl Zeiss Foundation within the I AM A. I. projectOrganising Committee
Dr. Rosita E. Yocgo - Research Group Leader, Plant Interactions and the Environment, AIMS Rwanda
Prof. Blaise Tchapnda – Academic Director, AIMS Rwanda
Dr Mouhamadou Bamba Sylla - AIMS-Canada, Research Chair in Climate Change Science
Dr. Andreas Matt - Managing Director, IMAGINARY gGmbH
Dr. Daniel Ramos - Chief Content Officer, IMAGINARY gGmbH
Dr. Antonia Mey - Researcher and project manager, IMAGINARY gGmbHAdvisory Committee
Prof. Sam Yala – Centre President AIMS Rwanda
Prof. Barry Green – Centre President AIMS South Africa
Prof. Mama Foupouagnigni - Centre President AIMS Cameroon; Chief Academic Officer AIMS Global Network
Dr. Prince Osei - Centre President AIMS Ghana, Lead Scientist & Director for Quantum Leap Africa
Prof. Moustapha Fall - Centre President AIMS-SenegalAssistance team
Dr. Isambi Mbalawata, Ms. Molly Mutesi, Ms. Carine Umulisa, Ms. Dative Tuyisenge, Mr. Sampson Adotey, Mr. Kafui Odzangba Dake, Ms. Isha Alaagib, Mr. Jerry Fadugba.